Choose the diamond shape you want: round or princess cut stones are the most popular.
Decide the carat weight for your budget.
Start with the highest quality diamond of the shape and carat weight minimum you decided according to the two previous points, and begin reducing the quality until you arrive at a diamond that suits your budget.
- First, lower the clarity. Go as low as VS2 before making concessions in other areas.
- Next, lower the color. Go as low as H before making concessions in other areas.
- Finally, lower the cut. Go as low as Very Good in round diamonds, and Good in fancy shapes before making concessions in other areas.
- If the diamonds that match your revised criteria are close to your budget, consider shaving off some carat weight in order to close the gap. A carat weight difference of 10% or less will be very difficult to detect visually.
How to Measure a Finger to Find Out Ring Size
This is very simple. All you need is a ruler and a thin strip of paper.
1. Wrap the thin strip of paper around your finger. Make sure the paper is below the joint of your finger and close to your knuckle.
2. Mark the spot where the paper meets and measure the distance with your ruler.
3. Use the following chart to determine your ring size. Rings also come in half sizes, the measurements of which, of course, will fall somewhere in between the whole sizes.
Size 4: 1 13/16 inches
Size 5: 1 15/16 inches
Size 6: 2 1/16 inches
Size 7: 2 1/8 inches
Size 8: 2 1/4 inches
Size 9: 2 5/16 inches
Size 10: 2 7/16 inches
Size 11: 2 9/16 inches
Size 12: 2 5/8 inches
Size 13: 2 3/4 inches
Size 14: 2 7/8 inches